INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Thank you to everyone who has applied to speak at the 11th ICT4D Conference. We have received around 850 speaker applications this year and speaking slots have now been allocated.
Owing to the high number of submissions we are grouping some speakers together into panels around common themes. Your notification email will indicate this. We are also limiting the number of speaking opportunities for individuals and organisations. You will receive separate notifications for each application you submitted.
Speakers have been selected with reference to the following criteria:
- Exceptional innovation in ICT4D
- Credibility and experience of the presenter and/or organization
- Clarity of the submitted abstract
- Relevance of abstract to conference themes
- Verifiable results and impact of the program/project
- Extent to which the program/project is replicable and scalable
- Diversity of speaker or program beneficiary: this includes but is not limited to gender, age, previous participation as a speaker, region where speaker is based
We are now working on scheduling the sessions and developing the conference agenda. We have sent all registered speakers an email in early March with log-in details to your account on the Pathable agenda app. From here you will be able to view the timing of your session, upload your presentation, update your profile and build your own schedule!
Visit our website regularly for any further announcements and check your spam folders as some of our automated emails may be redirected by your email server settings.
Conference track session formats will include:
40 minute case studies, presentations or speeches (including 10 minutes for Q&A)
10 minute Demonstration Stage presentations
40 minute joint or panel discussions on common themes arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee
30 minute interactive discussions in a ‘learning carousel’ format arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee
- All abstracts submitted by the deadline will be considered. Those received after the deadline may be considered but will be placed on a waiting list.
- Applicants will be notified from January 2019 if their submission has been selected.
- You may also elect to be considered as a panellist in a session arranged by the ICT4D Conference Committee if your submission is not accepted in the first instance.
- All those offered presentation/demonstration stage/panel slots must confirm acceptance by the published deadline of January 31 2019 by paying the registration fees. Speaker discount is 20% less than the applicable standard rate for your region for those who receive their notification of acceptance after the January 31 2019 deadline.
- If demand for speaking opportunities exceeds availability we may group speakers in panels to address common themes and limit number of speaking opportunities available for individuals or organizations to help ensure a broad and diverse representation and coverage of topics, issues and perspectives.
- Speakers are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and conference fees. Please see here for details of rates we have secured at local hotels.
- Visas and Yellow Fever Certificates: Please ensure you obtain a Ugandan entry visa if applicable. Uganda also requires you to present a certificate of Yellow Fever vaccination which must be obtained at least ten days in advance of arrival. Procedures may change so we advise you to check on the Uganda Government website for latest requirements.
- April 19, 2019 – online submission deadline for presentation and associated materials to your profile on Pathable. Max file size 20MB. You may wish to download this template for your presentation submission. Please use an accessible presentation format.
- We may make minor changes for layout and accessibility purposes.
Important venue and A/V information
- All conference rooms will be equipped with display screen, laptop (Windows OS), and wireless internet connection. PA equipment will be available in larger rooms
- Speakers are responsible for provision of all peripheral equipment including adaptors, convertors and cable connectors for use with any additional equipment in Uganda
- Please ensure you upload your presentation onto our website by April 19 2019 and bring a back up copy on a USB for your use during the presentation. Please do not email attachments or links to us directly.