For the purpose of the security of all of our attendees– please review these general security guidelines if you are planning to attend the ICT4D Conference at the Speke Resort in Munyonyo – Kampala, Uganda from April 30 – May 2, 2019, and/or the ICT4D Training Day on May 3, 2019. Generally, Uganda is a relatively safe country and Kampala is a moderately safe city, but as always, you should remain vigilant regarding your safety and the security of your property.
Outside the Speke Resort:
- Petty crime and crimes using distraction methods are common in public and tourist areas. Particularly pickpocketing, as well as purse and/or cell-phone snatching. Robbery and/or threats of robbery are also common. If accosted, do not resist and comply with demands to turn over personal property. Remember that personal safety is of paramount concern.
- Keep your valuables safe: Carry only the minimum amount of cash that you need for the day, only take a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable) and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night. Always walk with at least one other person, and only walk in well-lit areas or use a known taxi recommended by the Resort – even for short distances.
- Avoid public transport (mini buses and the use of Boda-Boda). There have been incidents of assault and staged robberies by some Mobile Apps taxis/ride-sharing services.
- Food and drinks should never be left unattended in public – especially in local clubs.
- Do not engage in any political discussions and avoid expressing negative sentiments about the host country.
Inside the Speke Resort:
- Please note that we have hired a security company for extra safety during the Conference. Always comply with their guidance.
- Always wear the conference badge during the event including before and after the scheduled program
- Keep your belongings safe. Do not leave laptops, mobile phones, or other items unattended. If you leave any devices in your room, such as your laptop while going to dinner, lock them in your suitcase.
- Take care of your electronic room keys. Leave the manual keys at the reception while not in your room.
- Be aware that most of the public spaces at the Speke Resort Munyonyo are under CCTV surveillance that is monitored and recorded 24/7. Corridors leading to hotel rooms, staircases, lifts, lobbies, bars, pool area, and restaurants ARE all under CCTV surveillance. Private spaces like hotel rooms or restrooms are NOT.
- We do not tolerate unprofessional behaviour or harassment in any form. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the Conference, without a refund, at the discretion of the conference organizers. If someone is made to feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it at the Conference Registration or Help Desk or contact the Conference Manager. View the Terms and Conditions here www.ict4dconference.org/terms-conditions
13. Lost & Found: If you have lost something or found an item in the Conference area, please report this at the Conference Registration or Help Desk. The Speke Resort has their own Lost & Found desk for guests.
Emergency Service Numbers:
- Uganda Police Force (UPF):
o Mobile: 999/112
o Toll Free: 0800909/200019
- Local Medical Services:
o IHK: +256 312 200 400 / +256 772 756 003
o The Surgery: +256 312 256 001/2/3
o Case Clinic: +256 312 261 123
- U.S. Embassy:
o +256 414 259 791
- Speke Resort Munyonyo Security:
o +256 5271 1793
- Conference Manager:
Local Alert Signal Information:
The U.S. Department of State provides safety and security alerts at: travel.state.gov.
- Follow instructions from the Conference Management team, the conference security company, the Speke Resort, and local authorities about security and evacuation.
- Review the Speke Resort Munyonyo emergency guide.
- Keep in touch with Conference Staff, hotel staff, airline, and local officials for evacuation instructions.
- Contact your country’s nearest embassy if you need emergency help.
Speke Resort Munyonyo Map